I just can't stop sleeping.. I didn't think that jet lag would affect me, but I think that my body is still in "holiday" mode in that it just wants to sleep all the time. Becky asked me if I was going to see DJ Yoda tonight and I was sorely tempted - But I just couldn't bring myself to wake up in time :S
So, there's still loads about the holiday to talk about. Rather than listing all and everything, I thought I would type it up when I remembered it - Thus making me update my LJ a bit more too ;) For instance, I was reminded today about the Memorable Thursday.
It's Memorable Thursday because that was the day where we all did sunrise on Ocean Drive, then drove to Key West (Key Weird) a good 4 hours away to see the sunset. The scenery driving through the Keys on the way to Key Weird produced some of the most stunning views and scenery of the entire trip. It just completely blew me away to have the clear blue ocean on my left, and (what I think was) the Gulf Of Mexico on the right. All I know is that I was surrounded by stunningly blue seas and sky. It's not very often that I feel compelled to take a picture whilst the car is still moving, or indeed, asking for the car to pull over whilst I took pics of the scenery. Actually, it was on Memorable Thursday that I needed to buy more film. I thought that 4 rolls of 36 exp would be enough for the whole trip - But the views were just TOO stunning. I should also point out that I don't know if these shots will turn out because whilst changing the roll of film on South Beach, I dropped the new roll of film and loaded it into the camera anyway. Not thinking clearly, I didn't check that all the sand was out and so got sand in the camera. Since then, it's made a horrible sound every time I took a picture. If the pics don't turn out, then I'll just ask J and Deb if I can get some of theirs.
Key Weird was a complete disappointment. It's like an American version of Blackpool and Soho all rolled into one. It's obviously VERY tourist orientated - I'd say 98% of shops and bars were tourist-orientated. I didn't really like it there. If it weren't for the point that it's supposed to be the Southernmost point of the Continental USA thus making the sunset a bit more poignant, then I wouldn't have rated it at all. We weren't gonna go back but J was quite determined to see the Southernmost Point - There's a giant thimble marker to mark the spot. I was amused at how I was closer to Cuba than to Miami at that point ;) Then, whilst driving around in the dark - We saw it. Hell, even J felt compelled to have her pic taken by it (albeit with an ironic face and sticking her finger up at it). Still, it meant that we didn't have to go to Key Weird again which is a good thing cos for all the drive, it certainly wasn't worth it.
Oh, when did I ever become so romantic about sunrises and sunsets?! Have to admit that on Tues night when I got home, there was a spectacular sunset - Lots of oranges and pinks. But it just wasn't the same without the sound of ocean waves in the background, or indeed seeing it through the buildings of Birmingham.
Conversely, all the Keys on the way to Key Weird were quite beautiful. Key Largo and Isla Morada were beautiful. Oh, need to point this out. When we first drove through Key Largo, I inevitably thought of the classic film. Then I spotted a sign that said "Caribbean Club - Where there famous film Key Largo was filmed" Of course, that set my heart racing and we all resolved to go back if we could. We went back the following day but we were not expecting what we saw... In the doorway to the bar were about 4 men with sleeveless denim shirts and shades watching our every move. Nope, we're NOT going in there. We walk round the back to pretend to have a look, then decide to head out ASAP. I took a pic of the sign, but still, it's with a heavy heart that I report how the setting for such a classic film has now turned into a redneck juke joint.
Think that's enough for now. Shall post more soon :)
