Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fussball

I like to think of myself as patriotic, I always like to see England do well in whatever sports they're competing in. Of course, my rugby passion knows no bounds. I still get all teary whenever I hear the National Anthem played before an International match. These days, I tend to think of the look on Lawrence Dallaglio's face during the National Anthem at the Rugby World Cup (SF, I think it was). He was singing with 100% (or 110%, knowing LBND) passion, tears were streaming down his face but he didn't care - It showed how proud and passionate he was about playing for his country. You could feel the passion seeping through the television from Australia. When we won the Rugby World Cup, a lot was made of how Rugby is seen as a "toff's" sport, how it was a game that was played in boy's public school's rather than a game that appeals to all like football. The scenes from Trafalgar Square that day were brilliant. For once, we could actually boast about having a good National side in a sport. We were World Champions again. Brilliant.

There was a lot of talk at the time of if Rugby could ever overtake Football in terms of popularity in this country. Whilst interest in rugby has undoubtedly increased because of the World Cup win, rugby will never be as appealling to the masses as football. Football is revered in this country for reasons I've never really understood. Yes, it's the national sport because it originated here - But so did rugby. At least in rugby we could make a valid claim to be good, but every time England play in football - They're expected to win. If they don't win - It's time for Sven to go, it seems.

One thing I love about rugby (especially my beloved London Wasps) is how you can interact with the players and their families. Not just on the training ground or at matches, but I will always remember Twickenham for the Heineken Cup Final 2004. Before the match, we were all in the car park having a nice picnic and drinking lots of alcohol. After the match, the players and management (from both sides) all came out to join us in the car park and they were happy to chat to us and get drunk with us. I don't think you could even dream of such a thing happening in football. Imagine David Beckham coming out into the car park to join in a picnic with some fans after playing in the Champions League Final? Nah, I didn't think he would either..

It's not that I don't like football, I do. I just don't see why they should be paid so much more than other sports and revered as demi-gods more so than other sports. Especially as there is so much yobbish behaviour associated with it. Most people are amazed at how in rugby, all fans sit mixed together - There's no danger of rival fans rioting and fighting against each other. Look at the Ashes success of the cricket team this summer. Everyone noted how graceful both teams were - in success and defeat. As my sister pointed out, when Freddie Flintoff consoled the Aussie cricketer he bowled out at Edgbaston to win the match by simply touching the guy's shoulder was a powerful moment. It was then that you realised that even though he was ecstatic at having won the match and beaten the Aussies with 2 balls left - He still felt sorry for the batsman and went over to check he was OK. That's just awesome. I only wish we could see more passion and sportsmanship in the one sport that needs it - Football.

No comments: