I went to see this film on Tuesday. Now I don't actually remember if I posted about this film before or not. As with a lot of things in my life at the moment, I imagine or dream about doing things - But I can't honestly recall if they were real or not. For instance, I keep *imagining* that I have sent an email to someone - even to the point of knowing that I wrote in that email. But I haven't *actually* done it. So when I get to my email, I get a bit confoozled..
Anyway, what I was getting to was that in the anticipation of waiting for Brokeback Mountain to be released, I was having problems with how it will be referred to as the "gay cowboy" film. I'm splitting hairs here, but it's a love story. It just so happens that in this love story, the main characters are both male and are cowboys. It's not about them being gay, it's about how their love for each other goes on for years even though they can't actually be with one another for one reason or another..
So then, I finally got to see the film on Tuesday.. Here are my thoughts:
Right from the opening shot, you could tell this was an Ang Lee film. The scenery is a major part of this film and it was just gorgeous. I was immediately reminded of how during a time when a lot of new Westerns were being released, someone one commented on how Ang Lee "out westerned all the other films - And he's Taiwanese!" with "Ride With The Devil". In that film, he seemed to capture the essence of America and used the scenery to great effect. It was very clear how this was the case in this film too.
Like I said earlier, this is a love story. And it's a love story that is set over a long period of time, one where there is no big ending. I think the tagline to the film is "Love is a force of nature" or something similar, and it's very apt for the film. Whilst Innes and Jack obviously love each other, they also know that ultimately, they can't be together - or be seen together as much as they would like/want. Of the two, Jack is the one who seems to be more confused about is sexuality and is the one who is the more "romantic". He has great notions of how he and Innes can live together.. He's the one that goes to Mexico to find male hustlers. Jake Gyllenhall is full of the charm and charisma to portray Jack. He's still one of my favourite young actors. But Heath Ledger - WOW! Who would have thought that the very same guy who was in "An Knight's Tale" could play the tortured soul that is Innes Del Mar? He's such a revelation in this film. He shows how Innes is forever tortured by trying to do the right thing.. Being a father, being a husband, having to hide his love for Jack.. I never really thought much of Heath Ledger before this film, I just thought he was another pretty boy actor. But my opinion of him has changed completely after this film. He is truly magnificent. Other notable mentions go to Michelle Williams for her turn as the tortured wife to Innes when she discovers that her husband loves another man.
To sum up, I *love* this film. It's a gorgeous story and beautifully shot and deserves all the plaudits that are lauded upon it.
Next in line is "Memoirs of a Geisha" One of my favourite books in recent years. Not only does it have the hugely impressive Ken Watanabe, but 3 of my favourite Chinese actresses - Gong Li, Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh. If there was ever a chinese woman I wanted to be - It would be Michelle Yeoh. She's just so graceful and beautiful.. *sigh* Still, am getting all excited about this film.. If it's anything as good as the book, I should be in for a treat. And given that Rob Marshall has directed it, I'm sure that it will be visually stunning, at least. If not, I can just ogle at the 3 main actresses *wink*
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment