Ever since I was a child, Mum has taken to bleaching things "to make sure they are really clean". This would include your cutlery, crockery (yes, including the cups and mugs we drink from), dishcloths as well as pouring some down the drain or to clean the loo periodically. In recent years, I've taken to this issue as she's gotten older because her rinsing isn't as great at it used to be. On several occasions, I've had to thoroughly rinse the mugs again because I could still smell bleach when I used them. It was then that I realised that I needed to look out for this again. For a long time, she stopped doing it when. But today, she decided to do it again.
Now I've been really short tempered for a couple of weeks now and I've had a few shouting matches at her already these past couple of days. But today was just the last straw. She soaked a tea towel and several lids from the saucepans as well as the grills from the extractor fan in a bleach solution in the kitchen sink. She comes home and starts moaning how I "haven't cleaned the lids yet". This is how the rest of the conv went:
"And how am I supposed to clean them when they're soaked in bleach?"
"Wear gloves?"
"rubber gloves?"
"yes"
"There aren't any"
"yes there are, I left a pair by the sink"
"Firstly, they don't fit. Secondly, I can't wear rubber gloves anyway because they affect my eczema. And why are the lids in bleach anyway?"
"Becuase they're covered in grease, but I didn't soak them, I soaked the tea towel and the cups"
"But the lids were at the bottom of the sink where the bleach was"
"I only bleached the mugs because they were discolouring"
"Then we can clean them, or rub them with salt.. Bleach isn't the best way - Especially if you don't rinse them properly."
"That colouration will kill someone?! Tell me, what's more likely to kill someone.. Bleach being swallowed or a bit of natural colouring?"
At this point, she goes off into a rage and just shout back that it's fine, bleach has always been the best way to remove grease, isn't it? FAR better than detergent. What's more, I can live without several layers of skin on my hands.
Currently, the skin on my hands is burning a bit but I'm too proud and stubborn to do anything about it. I'd rather get injured and let her see the consequences of her actions.
/folds arms

No comments:
Post a Comment