Wednesday, January 18, 2006

yoghurt update

So.. It's been a few days since I bought the yoghurt maker and I've made it a few times - Each time varying it slightly to see what results are like. Here is what I've learnt so far:

The yoghurt does indeed, turn out much better if I fill it to the 800ml line instead of the 1L line. That said, I haven't tried making the "Greek style" yoghurt yet. It doesn't taste exactly like supermarket bought natural yoghurts - it tastes a little artificial because I can taste the milk powder. I tried adding sugar and bit of vanilla essence to one batch, but I didn't put enough in and the artificial tang was still there. I've made one batch with 2 tablespoons of candarel in the mix (for Mum) and it seems to have gotten rid of the artifical taste. So now that I have perfected the consistency, it's still the taste that needs tweaking. The current batch I'm making has 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and a vanilla pod. Oh, one thing I've forgotten to mention. Although as a plain natural yoghurt, it tastes slightly artificial, once you add some fruit compote to it - It tastes just like a supermarket fruit yoghurt.

Let's see what results they yield..

1 comment:

YSL said...

oooh tars!

I've not tried the Greek Style ones because it's not something I usually buy, therefore I wouldn't really know the right consistency. As for custard style - Am a bit scared to try it (!). However, I will try it solely on your recommendation! :)