Monday, March 06, 2006

It's Oscar time!

It's that time of the year again when the Hollywood Circus rolls into full swing and you see lots of people all gushing and in tears during their acceptance speeches, and the attendees are asked "Who are you wearing?" Ladies and gentlemen, it's the Academy Awards. Every year, I try to stay up to watch them and I always get caught up in the emotions and get teary when my of my faves win.

Well, bad start to the night.. I fell asleep 20mins before coverage starts during the red carpet arrivals. I miss 3 categories including Best Supporting Actor which went to George Clooney for "Syriana". No surprise there really, Hollywood *loves* George Clooney and well, I agree with them. And I just miss the Wallace and Gromit film get Best Animated feature.. I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get to see it live as it was the one category that I really wanted to see but I'm thrilled to bits that it won. I've always loved Wallace and Gromit, they're uniquely British without trying to hard.

After that disappointment, i go back to sleep. I'm not feeling as passionate about the acting categories and tbh, as long as Ang Lee gets Best Director, I don't really mind. Oh, and I want Brokeback to win Best Picture, but I feel more strongly about Ang Lee getting Best Director.

I wake up before the end but in time to catch the "major" categories..

Best Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman for "Capote". No surprise at all. I *love* this guy and it's about time he got recognised for his acting. However, I would have been happy with any of the winners (especially David Strathairn for "Good Night and Good Luck"). He seems to be losing it slightly with his acceptance speech. It's so odd to see such a good actor begin to lose it when not scripted. Awww, Joaquin Phoenix looks like he has tears in his eyes!

Best cinematography - Memoirs of a Geisha. Am slightly surprised that Brokeback didn't get it given how stunning the cinematography was, but Memoirs of a Geisha's cinematography was (upon reflection) equally stunning and impressive. Somebody described the film as visually stunning to look at and it's been reflected tonight with its awards for Best Costume and Cinematography.

Best Actress - Reese Witherspoon for "Walk the line" Again, no surprise here and likewise, I would have been happy with any of the nominees winning. Oh dear, her speech is really cringeworthy. She's obviously thought her speech out.. Bet she's gonna regret it in years to come like Gwyneth Paltrow.

Best Original Screenplay has just been awarded to "Brokeback Mountain" BRILLIANT! They orchestra play the theme from the film and I am immediately reminded of how poignant and gorgeous the film was. I don't think there was ever any doubt that it would win this category, but I am still happy nonetheless. Oh blimey, the bloke is in jeans. Just before he announced the winner, Dustin Hoffman fluffed up reading the teleprompter introducing best original screenplay and remarked "Sorry, it's much easier to act" then went all gushy and was slightly overcome by being in the room with such talent and great nominees and got everyone to applaud themselves.

Best Original Screenplay - "Crash" I'm happy because it's a very good film and an intelligent and touching script that analyses LA (and the US's) attitude to race in present and modern day society. However, I am slightly disappointed that "Good Night and Good Luck" didn't win.

LOL, Jon Stewart has just commented that whilst seeing the acceptance speech for Best Adapted Screenplay, he didn't realise that he could wear jeans. He knows better for next time!


Best Director... Please let it be Ang Lee. He's been overlooked for too long and this is the one chance they have to redeem themselves. YES!!!! He's got it! Uh oh, I am getting teary.. The theme from "Brokeback" is played.. His speech talks about how making the film taught them all the importance of love itself. And to think, Ang Lee had to sleep on a friend's couch when he first arrived to America because he couldn't afford a hotel room.

Best Film.. Presented by Jack Nicholson whom is given a cheer. And the winner is... Crash. There was a lot of speculation that Crash would win rather than hot favourite "Brokeback Mountain". I'm pleased it won because for reasons stated above, it's a good film about tolerance and love in modern America. But I am disappointed that Brokeback didn't win, I can't help but wonder if the stigma of "gay cowboy film" affected it at all. The film critics are saying that although it was a good film, they didn't think it deserved Best Film over Brokeback or indeed, any of the other nominated films.

So the biggest surprise of the night was for Best Picture. The acting awards all went to pretty much the faves. I'm thrilled that George Clooney got Best Supporting Actor, but disappointed that he didn't get it for Best Original Screenplay. I am ecstatic that Best Animated feature went to "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit". Oooh, the film critics are saying that in 10 years time, people will wonder how Brokeback didn't win the Oscar. Another film critic (oh, he's editor for Empire Magazine) is saying that of the five nominees, Crash is the one that will least stand the test of time. They're still stunned that Brokeback didn't win Best Picture. I am inclined to agree with them.

No comments: