Thursday, April 20, 2006

How I love thee, Teddy

I'm still all smiles from last night.. The gig was every bit as brilliant as I expected. Teddy was on form and chatted a lot more to the audience tonight. However, I think he did a slightly shorter set than last time.. There was no "Wake Up" or "Frontlines" which is a bit disappointing. However, he did perform "Brink Of Love" from the first album which is one of my faves, so that made up for it :)

The day started off in early fashion by having to go to the Dr's with Mum. I was kind of dreading it because I do consider our GP to be the Bitch Troll from Hell and I feel like I have to fight her for everything. However, she was more than accomodating this time.. She didn't huff and puff when Mum asked her to check her blood pressure which is pretty much a first. Oh, I should point out that I didn't get to bed until about 2.30am playing Guitar Hero on the PS2. My fingers were about to drop off and I was about to cry at how hard it was to play "No One Knows" on the thing. After that, I just had a relaxing day at home knowing that I was going out later, so I stayed in and cooked a bit.

Actually, I cooked a lot. After making a bolognese sauce on Sunday, I decided to make it into a pasta bake. So not only did I make a cheese sauce with applewood smoked cheddar as well as normal mature cheddar, I also cooked a load of penne pasta, mixed it with the pasta sauce, let it cool down, then topped it with the cheese sauce and baked it. I also cooked off the green beans and made a kind of Ma Po Tofu with some minced pork, garlic and LOTS of sambal olek (crushed chilli sauce). In between all that, there was more guitar hero-ing ;)

So, I finally head out to meet up for a few drinks with some people from work before the gig. TL and Ste came out with us, it's always good fun when they're out with us - I shall miss them when they move back to Manchester. Then, it's time for the gig. I have to admit that there is certain smugness that comes with being able to go up to reception and saying "Hi, we're on the guest list for tonight.." As it turns out, I got our timing completely wrong.. Doors opened at 7.30 and you had to be seated by 8pm for the show to start at 8.30. We didn't get there until just after 8pm so all teh front row seats had gone :( Still, we got seats in the 3rd row in line with the bass player on the right of the stage.

Support came from Teddy's sister, Kamila Thompson. She's not making a record or anything, but she just likes gigging and playing songs. A few songs were depressing (one called "Never Again") But the majority of her songs were pleasant enough, one of the songs that stood out was one called "Cars" that she wrote because she admits that she is the worst driver ever and so decided that bad drivers really shouldn't drive nice cars.. When she first came onstage, she walked past us and I just went "Hello Kam!" and she turned round to see who said that in the dark (!) I could feel myself going red.. Then she turned around and the lights shone on her. I swear there was an audiable gasp from the audience because they didn't realise that she was so beautiful. It's almost sickening that 2 siblings can be so beautiful. Natalee and I were chatting about how purdy they both were and I joked that I wouldn't mind ending up with either of them!

Teddy himself was just awesome. As I mentioned earlier, he was much more chatty than last time. At one point, he mentioned that he went to do a radio interview at a radio station in Villa Park. After which he went and did some light training.. Gave a motivational speech.. and scored some goals (!!). Just before he was due to leave the radio station, they asked if he would sign some board they had that was a campaign against racism. Teddy asked them why they thought he would sign such a thing. The radio people looked confused and Teddy went "Don't you think it's a bit wrong to just assume that I would support such a thing? You don't know me.. I could be a crazy KKK dude for all you know.." The radio people were quite scared of him - LOL!. He has a point though, even in the next song "You Made It", it has the lyrics "You don't know me". He's right in saying that rather than assuming that he would sign such a thing because "everyone" has - They should ask him if he would sign the thing first. I think one of my favourite moments was when at 10.45, some people sitting next to me had to leave to get their last train home. At that exact moment, Teddy was talking to the crowd and saying that this is the last song, upon which he saw the group of people leaving and said ".. which is apparently one song too much for some people???!" with a bewildered look on his face and saying off mic "Where you going? there's only 1 song left!"

The gig was also the first time I got to play with my new phone. I'm still a bit disappointed that the pics are grainy even though it's meant to be a 2Mp camera. Still, the video footage I took was genius. OK, I was sat by the speakers - which were set to LOUD - so the sound is a bit distorted, but you can hear Teddy play :) I swear my left arm was about to drop off after holding it aloft for entire songs. I couldn't even sing out loud just incase the mic picked up my voice!

After the gig, we all waited for the crowd to die down before going over to chat to him. I decided to get a copy of the Blunderbuss EP for cricket signed by him (even though she already has it, I think she'll appreciate this one more). I asked him to make it out to "Cindy" and then, he went onto the sleevenotes I brought for my copies of his 2 albums. However, he made them out to Cindy too and I went "OOOh! Sorry! They're mine, not Cindy's" to which Teddy went "SHIT! Sorry! I was thinking to myself that I was sure your name wasn't Cindy!" I just laughed and said "Hey! I can be Cindy for you if you want" Teddy just laughed and crossed out Cindy's name and put my name in BLOCK CAPITALS to emphasise it was to me (!!). I asked him why he doesn't play "Days In The Park" live anymore and he said that he does play it sometimes. I said I was a bit upset he didn't play it tonight and he suggested that I request it from the audience. I told him that I'll do that at Bristol when I see him play again a week Saturday - He looked me in the eye and went "OK, sure!" I wanted my photo taken with him alone first but in the confusion of everything, I ended up having my pic taken with Nat and Teddy. I was trying to look serious like he does - But it comes across as a smirk!



And with that, I went home grinning from ear to ear as midnight and my 31st Birthday approached.

No comments: