Sunday, April 30, 2006

Teddy and/in Brizzle!

Well, I'm currently in Trin's bed, using her laptop to write this blog entry. (WHeYHeY!!) I've had a really wonderful time today. Of course the main point of this little excursion was to see Teddy live again but the other point was to be able to meet Trin too :)

The day started off by getting the train to Brizzle. Of course, of all the trains today, it had to be all my train that was delayed. I just missed one delayed train when I got to the platform and the next one wasn't going to be for another 40mins. So, I thought I would head over to the station bar to have a crafty ciggie with a pint whilst waiting. Then I remembered that all pubs are now non-smoking. Typical! I want a cigarette for the first time in 4 months and I bloody can't! AND, I had to pay £4 for a bottle of Magners cider! That's the last time I go there!

I finally get onto the train and head towards Brizzle. I don't remember very much of the journey because I fell asleep. Outside the station, I grab the chance to get some flowers together for Trin (I love giving flowers to people) and the time finally arrives when I meet Trin. She's every bit as I imagined her to be - She's just as bright, bubbly and cheerful as she comes accross online. She has a terrible habit of belittling herself and putting herself down - But I find her company and personality very infectious and warming - Even if she calls me posh because of the way I speak! Her home life is pretty much as she describes it online with her cats running riot. I'm warned well in advance that the stains on the bathroom carpet are hair dye - I am strangely comforted, yet disturbed at the same time by this statement. When I eventually go to the bathroom, I see a few drops of blood red stains on the carpet. If Trin hadn't told me it was hair dye, I could see how it is easily mistaken for fresh blood.



I'm shown my room for the night so I can drop my bag there and am immediaely greeted by a sleeping cat on the bed with a look as if to say "WTF? What you woken me up for? Who the hell are YOU? Whadya think you're doing with them bags? Don't come any nearer... don't! Yeah, you can put them bags there, but you ain't moving me from this bed - his bed is MINES (bitch)" Oh I'm gonna have fun here!



At one point in the afternoon, we heard a scuffle in the kitchen and we thought it was Bailey since she kept staking out this one spot by the cooker. And true to form, Bailey comes into the living room with a mouse in her mouth! Cue lots of screaming and shouting from Trin. She didn't want Bailey to kill it because it was onlya baby mouse and she thought it was too cute to be tortured and killed. I tried to grab it until I thought "Hang on, what if the little fucker (mouse, not Bailey) bites me?" So i'm looking for something to grab the mouse with. I point out that it's only nature working that a cat should catch a mouse - Wouldn' you rather Bailey cight a mouse than let it run free in the house? With that in mind, Trin agrees to let bailey keep her prize catch - but she won't let Bailey kill the mouse in the house. So we eventually get Bailey to go into the garden with her prey to finish it off. Phew! It's all go here!


As ever, I'm quite wary of being in someone else's house. I'm trying to remain my usual calm self, but I'm also conscious of how I could be offering my help with things like housework or something.. I'm conscious of how I'm not doing anything... It's from years of going to Chinese families' houses where you always volunteer to help with things and if you didn't offer help - What a rude houseguest you were! It's kind of like how I'm wary of eating other people's food because they spent their money on it and until you ask them, how can you assume that you can just help yourself?! I'm too chinese for my own good, sometimes..

So, to the Teddy concert. We were in the front row standing (!!). It felt odd to be in a University again.. Buying 2 drinks from the union and it coming to less than £5! There were a group of student girls behind us who kept chatting all the way throughout Sol Seppy's set ( how annoying) and kept screaming at Teddy (which he loved!). I'm sure I was never that bad as a student myself. The gig was good as expected, I tried calling out for "Days in the park" but he didn't hear me :( (OK, I was trying too hard just incase I got embarassed). However, he performed "Wake Up" this time as an encore which was a treat. I have photos, but will upload them when I get home.

Afterwards, I did my usual of waiting for the crowd to die down a little before going up to him. In the meantime, the rest of the band came out and I stopped Steve Schiltz for a brief chat. He half recognises me and I tell him that I did say hello to him in Birmingham but he didn't reply and there was a look of complete horror from him upon hearing how rude he was and he immediately held his hand out and apologised profusely to me for beig so rude and said that he must not have heard me. I then told him that it wasn't so much that he didn't hear me, but he was accosted by an elder gentleman and it sounded like they were talking SERIOUS guitar talk, so I just backed away. He laughed and said "Oh YEAH, *I* remember that guy!" I laughed at how this guy made a beeline for Steve as soon as they came out to the floor in Birmingham and Steve explained that he gets a load of Richard Thompson fans who go up to him and talk guitars. He was impressed at how much I knew of him - Especially when I asked about his band! When I asked him how his band is doing, he looked at me in shock and asked: "How do you know about my band?!" I think I went a bit red and said, I read it somewhere.. Then Trin came over and in typical Trin fashion declares that I'm obsessed with all things Teddy so I know my stuff. Steve gave Trin a knowing look :p He's lovely, but not as lovely as Teddy ;)

In the queue, we got chatting to a couple (Vic and Bob) next to us who it turns out, had come over from Chelmsford to see Teddy. Vic discovered Teddy fairly recently and the first song she learnt to play on the guitar was "Wake Up". I offered to take her photo with Teddy and when he saw me, he smirked and nodded in acknowledgment of me whilst saying hello - He recognised me! When it finally came to signing my stuff, I said that he didn't play "Days in the Park" again. Teddy said that it wasbecause I didn't shout out for it. When told that I had, he said that he must not have heard me because if he did, he would have performed it for me. I think I nearly died when he said that... Not only did he recognise me, but he said he would take my requests! Apparently, he's playing the Cambridge Folk Festival (so's his Pa). I may have to go over this year.. And of course, no teip is complete without me having my photo taken with Teddy - He's used to the drill by now ;) I hand my camera over to Trin with strict instructions of wanting a shot from the chest upwards - NOT of my full profile! Teddy and I have our arms around each other and it's the closest I've ever gotten to him - So much so that as I tilt my head slightly, I can actually rest it on his shoulder. Picture is taken. I briefly wonder if I should say that I want to check the photo in case one or both of us have our eyes closed, but I'm still in a state of delirium and decide against it.

His eyes are closed!!! Bah, it looks like he's straining a bit whilst I'm like some crazed woman grinning stupidly.. I should has ask Trin to take a pic with her camera! Oh well, I'll get a proper DECENT photo next time.

And with that, we headed back to Chez Trinity. I said goodbye to Steve and got a peck on the cheek and a hug from him - He's a sweet man. As we drive out of Bristol City Centre, I reflect on the night's events and smile. It's been a great night :)

Oh, and to top it all off - We get pizza and chips (and salad for me!). I almost feel like a student again - I only needed to steal a traffic cone or some sign..

2 comments:

Trinity said...

there was a traffic cone in your bedroom silly!! we usually nick one.

YSL said...

I did notice that, I was thinking that we should have got another one so that it could have company (like traffic cones have feelings?!!)