No, I don't mean a pub that I like, more the Seth Lakeman song.
I'm pretty sure that I have previously written about how a song I hear whilst on holiday defines the holiday in my mind. It's a song that when I hear it, immediately reminds me of the holiday (and of happier times). In Biarritz 2005, it was Calexico's "World Drifts In" after seeing them perform it live wilst flicking through French TV. For California and Seattle in 2005, it was Willy Mason's "Fear No Pain" that I vividly remember listening to whilst on the train heading to San Francisco - And the scenery was like some sort of music video that showed the real streets of America.
So for my HK 2006 trip, I was acutely aware of how I could be listening to a song that defines my trip. I heard The White Hare on my iPod on the 2nd night we were there when I couldn't sleep, so I listened to some music with the view that hearing some Rufus or Teddy would help soothe me a bit to get some sleep. I put Shuffle Songs on and if there wasn't anything that took my fancy (yunno, at 2.15am), I would just skip to the next track. Then, "The White Hare" came on and I was immediately struck by the harmonies of the song, right at the beginning, the mandolin and the guitar work together perfectly. It's a simple, gentle song that although the lyrics have nothing to do with my holiday itself, the uplifting feel that the song gives me will forever remind me of how excited I was to be in Hong Kong. It was right at the beginning of my holiday and I knew that it was going to be something very special - And this song seemed to emphasise that for me.
I can't help but smile whenever I hear this song now :)
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment