Sunday, July 22, 2007

S'magic!

It's now about 3.15am and I have just finished reading the final Harry Potter book. Oh my. I feel strangely empty and sad because there won't be any more Harry Potter books. I've spent the past 10 years eagerly awaiting the next installment in the series, I can remember the pain of learning that the books weren't going to be released every year as originally thought (I have to wait TWO years for the next book?!!), the worry of what the film versions would be like, there were times when people at work would sneer and mock you for liking the books - But they were all non-believers.

So what's the final book like? I'm not going to post any potential spoilers, but I will say that it builds up to a fitting finale - And yes, I did cry at one or two parts. As throughout the whole series, lots of incidents from previous books are relevant to what happens in this book.

It seems odd that there won't be any more Harry Potter books - Well, I don't think there will be any more. But I will say this: Whilst there may not be any more Harry Potter books, I've had a complete blast reading the past 7 books. It wasn't always easy - I thought that some of the middle books were a bit too long, but I love how both adults and children can read and enjoy the books. I remember seeing a guy who must have been in his 30s on the tube about 7 years ago reading "Chamber of Secrets" and how he was laughing whilst reading the book, the look on his face was one of pure enjoyment and I remember thinking how great it was that a book that was intended for children could be read and enjoyed by some business (suit) guy reading it on the tube on his way home from work - And that is the real magic of Harry Potter (OK, and JK Rowling).

No comments: