Right then, the night before the first day.. I'm feeling quite nervous to be honest. It dawned on me today that for the first time in 7 years, I'll be travelling to the city centre but not actually working there when I go to work tomorrow. Instead, I'll be stepping off the bus at my usual stop by the Bullring and instead of walking into the Bullring to my old job in the store, I'll be crossing the road to Moor St Station where I will get the train to my new job in Solihull. It's going to feel a bit odd at first, but I know that I will get used to it in time.
Similarly, the first few weeks/months will be testing out public transport. I've decided to take the train to the city centre and then the train to Solihull for the time being, but I've yet to test the buses. My problem is that I don't know the roads or traffic patterns to Solihull at all, I know that there is the Land Rover plant and several schools on the way which will all add up, but also that I need to travel along the busy Coventry Road and then along Lode Lane which is one of the main roads to Solihull from Birmingham. I suspect that whichever method of transport I choose will depend on what shift I'm on - If I have a 9am start like tomorrow, I'll prolly get the train and bus. But if I have a later shift , say 10am, I could take the bus all the way there.
I have no idea what to expect tomorrow.. I know that I will be shadowing one of the existing team for the first week or two, I suspect that it will be Steven R - which ought to be interesting given how he's gotten into a bit of trouble recently. But still, I am there to learn so as long as he teaches me something useful, that should be OK. For the first time in years, I'm wondering if I should take in a pencil case with me (!!), I'm thinking I should take a notepad with me to make notes, but there's another part of me thinking they should be able to provide me with something like that, then again, I know exactly what this company is like - Best take my own notebook with me. Would it be terribly brown-nose of me to take a HMV notebook?
So then, this is it.. The next chapter.. As usual, I have no real idea how it will be, but I've got the feeling that everything will be OK. And well, I'm gonna have fun trying, at least :)
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good Luck (I'm a little late, so I hope it went well)
Post a Comment