OK then, so this is it.. The final week of working in a store full time. Things got started on Monday when it was the last day working with Izzy. My relationship with Izzy is typical of how I get on with most of the staff in the store - It's not like I'm best friends with her, but we get along well enough to be friendly and helpful to each other, and we can have a really natter in an almost girly way. I've been a sympathetic ear for her when she's had something to rant or moan about, and I guess that I've been the one constant thing in that shop. If there was ever any one thing that you could say about that shop, it would be that I would be there for people and that my office was always open for people to vent their frustrations and to seek advice from a more experienced member of staff. By the time I had to go home and thus say goodbye to her, I very nearly shed a tear.
I'm doing even less work this week that I did last week - At least I had to train Blonde Matt how to cash up last week. But this week, he's proficient enough cashing up, I just have to show him the other stuff we cashiers do. So that means that whilst he's cashing up, I have bugger all to do. I make myself look busy by doing other non-essential stuff, but there's only so many times I can polish the desk. Chris, my new boss, phoned me yesterday to ask if there was any chance that I could start any sooner (I.E. today or tomorrow), but I had arranged for Carl come over tomorrow to go through a few things with Matt, so I need to be there for that, really. When I told Rabbi that I told Chris that I couldn't really start sooner, his words were: "Well, according to my boss, the regional manager, you're lucky that you're starting on Monday". I didn't say anything but that pissed me off.. He has no say in my future anymore, if he had taken such an interest in me before, I wouldn't be leaving. Ever since I got offered this job, the regional manager hasn't spoken to me. At least before, he would greet me whenever he saw me, but now - nothing. And as for stopping me starting my new job on Monday, he obviously thinks he has more influence than he actually does.
Today was the last time that I would ever cash up (as a senior cashier anyway) in the store. I was strangely quite sad and so I really took my time. It was a bit odd to think that I will no longer have to figure out the net cash or tidy up any tills. Then it occurred to me that the majority of calls I will get in my new job will be a result of poor or badly communicated messages within the company. Because of the movearound to Solihull from Wardour St, a lot of new people have started with the company so not only are they inexperienced with the company, but so much time and effort has gone into the move that they seem to have forgotten how to deal with Crimbo - The busiest trading period of the year. Crimbo so far has been really badly communicated - Contradicting memos, delivery dates changing without letting people know, poorly written instructions for people to attempt to follow. I thought that I would be getting away from all that, but it dawned on me that I wouldn't be getting away from it all. If anything, I'll be dealing with it even more because now, I'll be getting phonecalls from people who don't know/understand what's going on. Honestly, this company drives me up the wall sometimes.. It's surely not that difficult to check that something is written so that it's easy to understand, or to make sure that everyone gets the right message, is it? Yet because they haven't done so, my new job will be picking up the pieces from something that is very much, avoidable.
Well, 2 more days left in the store.. Call of Duty 4 comes out on Friday, so I think I'll take my DS into work so that I can play on it whilst Matt's cashing up ;)
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment