Sunday, June 02, 2002

Just gonna run though quickly what happened yesterday afternoon.

I go to the hospital because it's the first opportunity I have to see Vanya properly. I make enquiries about arranging for Sandie and Wendy and Ray to see Dad at the Chapel. I think my black humour shocked them a little when I asked them how much time we needed for them to thaw Dad out properly when he gets moved from the mortuary to the chapel. All the nurses looked at me with shocked faces (apart from Vanya) and I had to actually say "I'm kidding" and you could see the relief on their faces.. So it's all fine, just need to phone them with a time and they get back to me letting me know if it's ok or not.

OK, so I go meet Sandie and Liam at the station. For some reason, mebbe it's because I was the one at home with Mum and Dad, but I feel like I should be there to meet people when they arrive. So it was important for me to meet Sandie at the station. There, I had to get out of the car first because it was just stuck in traffic at the station. Sandie sees me and she's smiling, then we both just started to cry and hug each other. I then notice Liam and he's obviously really upset too. Sandie was saying that just as they were arriving in Birmingham, he was in tears saying that Gung-Gung (what he called Dad) won't be able to give him a bear hug as he always did.

At home, we make arrangements for a viewing at the Chapel. Once there, we checked if Liam wanted to go in since it's not a pretty sight as the mortician hasn't been there yet. He says he does. So, out come the waterworks again. I have to keep reminding myself that this is the first time that Sandie, Liam and Ray have seen Dad, so it's obviously more upsetting for them. They say their goodbyes and Sandie tells Liam that Gung Gung is peaceful. Outside, we tell Liam that he's been brave and really good, he comments that he was better than his Mother whom was sobbing uncontrollably (!!)

Peaceful evening.. We had a drink to Dad because he liked his drink. Just before bed though, Liam got upset again because he asked Sandie if she remembered what the last thing he said to Dad was. Sandie remarked that it was probably something like "Bye, I love you" or something.. Liam pointed out that it was "Bye Gung Gung, I hope you get better soon" And that's why he was crying. I think that sums it all up really.