I forgot to type this last night.. So it's all about yesterday anyway.
Yesterday was one of them days where work was an absolute joy. Nobody was in a grumpy mood and everything just went swimmingly. I actually finished all my work by noon which I was impressed with, meant I could catch up on the mountain of paperwork that had built up over six weeks.
First thing in the morning, the Rabbi tells me that he's got an auth code for my advance of owed overtime from last month, and because I've worked so much (only 1 day off), the amount I'm owed is actually WAY over the maximum amount they can authorise to me - LOL! I said that I didn't want ALL of it anyway, but ?250 would do me quite nicely until the end of the month :D So I'm in a good mood because of that, work has gone really smoothly, I've gotten a lot done.. It was just one of those nice days :)
Then, Kirstie comes in from the shopfloor and comes up to me and tells me that there's a gentleman here to see me about some sort of returned card? I laughed when she told me this. What happened was last week, Dave the LPO handed in a railcard holder to me that had been found on the shopfloor. When I opened it, there was a gold credit card in there, so I phoned up the bank and they said that it had already been reported as lost, so I could just destroy it. Then I saw there was a senior railcard that was only bought in June, so there was a good 9 months left on it. Now, given how expensive they are - Especially for a pensioner - I asked the bank if they could supply me with an address so I could contact the gentlemen. It was then that I noticed a slip of paper that had next of kin details of someone in Gloucester. I phone them up and inform them of the situation, how there's a lost card here and I thought I would try to contact them so they could let the gentlemen know where it is and collect it before he bought a new one. Then, I suddenly had a brainwave and offered to post the card to the gentleman if they didn't mind giving me his address. This would save them the trouble of trying to contact him on the phone (knowing how hard it is to talk to older people on the phone). She was all "Well that's very kind of you" and to be honest, I thought that it's only a stamp really, so I wasn't that bothered. Besides, little acts of kindness like this don't take too much. So, I leave a little note and post the card off to the guy.
Now, the bloke had stopped by today to say "Thank You" which was fine. Then he tried to shove ?10 in my hand! I had to turn it down cos I'm not allowed to accept money on the shopfloor (unless serving at a till, of course). Then I said to him "If you want to show your appreciation, then just write a letter to my head office explaining everything." :> I'm SUCH a corporate whore! LOL But the very thought that I had helped someone enough that they wanted to do such a gesture was really nice :)
