Friday, December 30, 2005

As surely as you get pressies at Crimbo..

The end of the year brings about an inevitable period of reflection and analysis - especially on a personal and professional level. I'll try to post about it tomorrow night since I feel it ought to be something done on New Year's Eve. However, I want to spend this entry (gnrrk!) thinking about my favourite songs/singles of 2005 - Along with musical highlights of the year.

2004 was obviously about Rufus Wainwright and my obsession with him continued throughout 2005. Seeing him perform live all through 2005 is one of my many musical highlights. Keeping with Rufus Wainwright, his sister Martha released her self tittled debut CD in 2005. Whilst her musical style is very different to Rufus' it's still a nice melodic collection of songs.

Staying with the Wainwrights, the first time I noticed Teddy Thompson was when he was part of Rufus' band in the first Want One tour. I had no idea he was the son of Richard and Linda Thompson, but I then started to hear of him via the message board at the official Rufus Wainwright site. Teddy was one of the artists at the "Came So Far For Beauty - A tribute to the Leonard Cohen" concert in Australia along with the Wainwrights, Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker and Beth Orton. Teddy released his CD "Separate Ways" in November of this year and it is quite simply one of my favourite CDs of the year. His songs (and his voice) are full of emotion and expressiveness - You can hear the pain he's feeling when he sings of the torment of seeing a former lover. I just *love* Teddy Thompson.

Similarly, I first heard of Antony and the Johnsons from Antony's guest appearance on "Want Two". Via the RWMB again, I learned that they were a cabaret act and it explained a lot about his voice. So when "I Am A Bird Now" was released, I got it out of curiosity (well, also because I thought "Hope There's Someone" was lovely given I knew what it was about). On first listening, I wasn't overly impressed with the CD. I thought that all the songs sounded very samey and the only thing they had going was Antony's ability to warble through the song. His voice also got a bit irritating. So after about a week, I stopped listening to the CD. A couple of months later, I pick up the CD again after it's been nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. I listen to the CD and all of a sudden - I COMPLETELY get what he's trying to say. I find his singing technique rather touching and I find myself crying when I hear Boy George sing "I am your sister and I love you... May all of your dreams come true." A lovely, lovely CD.

Another highlight of 2005 was the continued re-invention of Madonna and seeing her dominate the papers for her music again rather than because she was seeing going to the Kaballah temple or something. "Hung Up" was (for me) one of the most highly anticipated singles of the year. Right from the rumours of her using a Madonna sample, to the snippets of lyrics, to the exclusive pre-release download ringtone.. I got the ringtone about 7 weeks before the single was released and I loved it so much that I often forgot to answer the phone in time because I loved listening to the snippet of the song so much (for those this happened to, I'm very sorry). It's been a while since ppl other than Madonna fans like myself have gotten excited about Madonna's music. So it's quite satisfying for me to see such adoration for Madonna again. She should be touring again next year, so MAdam and I will be doing our damn best to be there when she does tour!

The Arcade Fire were one of my discoveries of the year. "Funeral" is a dazzling work of beauty. I saw them live in May and thought they were outstanding. "Funeral" is easily one of my favourite albums of the year. They're certainly brilliant live and I look forward to seeing them play live again.

Another discovery in 2005 was John Legend. There were some rumbles amongst the music press when his CD was released. I remember listening to the radio and somebody won a competition and their prize was the new John Legend CD. The listener was less than impressed because he had no idea who John Legend was, but the DJ (Nemone, I think it was) was trying to smooth things over by saying how a lot of good things had been saida bout John Legend and the CD "is supposed to be really good." Personally, I love this CD.. From the gospel roots to the modern hip-hop and R n' B. "Ordinary People" (the original version, not the remixed one for the single) is one of my favourite singles of the year. Just John Legend and his piano - simple but VERY powerful.

Goldfrapp's "Supernature" CD was eagerly anticipated from me. I simply *adore* Goldfrapp and this CD did not disappoint. It's much more glam-rock inspired but that's just fine. Although I'm (now) a bit fed up of "Ooh La La". Standout tracks from the CD are "Satin Chic" and "Just Let It Take You".

Oh, Texas released a new CD in 2005. I'm glad to say that it's a welcome return to form for them. "Red Book" is nearly as good as the seminal "White On Blonde" but I think that in years to come, it will be seen as a classic Texas CD.

Other notable mentions include:

Bob Sinclar - "Love Generation" - Simply the sunniest and happiest song all year
Foo Fighters - "Best of You" - Heartfelt yet rocking.. You can feel Dave Grohl's pain.
Amerie - "One Thing"
Gorillaz - "DARE"/"Dirty Harry" - 2 of the catchiest songs of the year.
White Stripes - "Blue Orchid" - Just rockin'
Jamirquai - "Feels Just Like It Should/Seven Days in Sunny June" - Jamiroquai always have BRILLIANT first singles from new albums, and "Feels Just Like It Should" was no exception. "Seven Days in Sunny June" was one of the highlights of the summer. A very summery song.
Kanye West - "Diamonds Are From Sierra Leone" - A powerful song that even makes Shirley Bassey seem cool.
Texas - "Getaway" - Brilliant comeback single and a welcome return to form for Sharleen and the boys.
System Of A Down - "BYOB" - Complete madness, yet undeniably catchy
Athlete - "Wires" - The album was a bit of a disappointment, but there's no denying the emotion of this song. Reduces me to tears most times I hear it.
Bright Eyes - "First Day Of My Life" - Simple yet gorgeous.
Willy Mason - "Oxygen" - see above
Coldplay - "Speed Of Sound" - one of their best songs to date. When they used the bridge part as the closing for the show during the announcement for the 2012 Olympics, it reduced me to tears again.
Hard Fi - "Hard To Beat" - Catchy and a reminder of the summer (especially when I heard it used during the Wimbledon highlights.
Arctic Monkeys - "Fake Tales of San Francisco" - VERY catchy with fantastic lyrics like "You're not from New York City you're from Rotherham." First heard this just after I got back from California, so it was pretty apt :)

I'm sure there are plenty more, but I can't think of them just yet..

No comments: