Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Stunning...

Absolutely stunning.

I've just got back from seeing Rufus Wainwright play live at Symphony Hall at the culmination of his Want tours, and it was simply brilliant. For all my love of Madonna and how she can put on a great show with great choreography, lighting, background etc. etc. Rufus simply puts on a great show by getting a great band that can play perform live and of course, it helps that he has fantastic songs.

There were some songs tonight that were enhanced by the live set. "Peach Trees" on "Want Two" isn't really a song that I had much time for.. I would always skip it. But tonight's performance showed me the song in a new light. "Go or Go Ahead" was so moving and atmospheric that I actually lost myself in that song for a while. It was so loud and it was surrounding me so much that I was honestly lost for a bit. "Poses" was as gorgeous as I expected. "The Art Teacher" sounded good with the band instead of just the piano. "I Don't Know What It Is" was just pure joy - As was "Beautiful Child". I know a lot of people just don't get Rufus. Sandie didn't really get him but I made her a CD and she says she likes it, so she's coming with me on Sunday in Preston. But I honestly think that seeing him live will convert her completely.

I have to admit that I felt a tinge of sadness knowing that this could well be the last time her performs some songs on tour (like Peach Trees) I felt another tinge of sadness knowing that the Want cycle is coming to an end. It was of course "Want One" that got me into Rufus and he's about to go into new territory now - A new and possibly different sound for the new album. All I can say is that as long as he keeps writing songs like he has over the past 4 albums, and keeps on performing as brilliantly live as every time I've seen him over the past couple of years - Then he will be shining as brightly as ever in my heart (and CD collection!)

Isn't it amazing how something like music can move a person so much?

No comments: