I need to get this off my chest..
Over the past couple of days, I have been absolutely disgusted at the behaviour of the Lib Dems and their treatment of their leader, Charles Kennedy. Yes, the guy had a drink problem, but he admitted it and has been seeking help for it. He made that bold and brave statement on Thursday in the hope that he could say "Yes, I am an alcoholic. But I've been getting it treated and I've not had a drink for 2 months now. So let's draw a line and move onto more important things." But this wasn't enough for them. I know this isn't the case but it very much seemed to say that if you are an alcoholic and are getting it treated and have been on the wagon for 2 months - You're still not good enough to lead us. We only want perfect souls. It certainly seems that honesty is not the best policy in this case. Right now, I can see why David Cameron dodged all questions about drugs.
In my opinion, Charles Kennedy was the best chance the Lib Dems had to make themselves heard in British Politics. I seriously doubt that the next leader will be as good as Charles Kennedy. Those Lib Dems that hounded him out were running scared because the Tories have a younger and seemingly more charismatic leader... But do you really think he'll last much longer? Pretty soon, people must see that he's just jumping on the bandwagon to seem really hip and popular. "Yeah, I love The Killers... I have them on my iPod" He's really in touch with the youth of today.. Fuck off! Such a knee-jerk reaction has only served to lose the lib dems votes in the next election.
On the BBC website There are many ppl voicing their opinions. The general consensus seems to be that ppl are shocked and disgusted at CK's treatment by his party and how the Lib Dems have lost a lot of votes over their treatment of him. Here are a few that have caught my eye:
"I am 19, and a Conservative Supporter, and even I am shocked by the way Charles Kennedy has been brutally backstabbed by the very party he placed his trust in. And by getting rid of him, the Lib Dems have now not just shot themselves in the foot, but amputated the entire leg as well.
The Cabinet Ministers who turned their back on him, on a moment's notice, should be ashamed of themselves. Charles Kennedy is a Human Being, like we all are, and like us all, he has his faults."
Also:
"As a Lib Dem activist, I am incredibly angry at what has happened to Charles Kennedy. We are supposed to be a party of social liberals. Charles said on Thursday that he had not had a drink for two months, and that was good enough for me. At this moment in time, I am seriously considering resigning my party membership, as I have no wish to support MPs who act like this to their own leader."
That sums it all up, really
Saturday, January 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment