As UK readers of this blog will know, it's been rather warmer in recent weeks and if it continues, then I think this summer will be a scorcher. However, on Friday night, we got some thunderstorms here in Birmingham. It didn't rain particularly hard (although I did actually need to use my umbrella earlier in the week because it was raining so hard), but there was a dampness to the air and you could hear the thunder rumbling in the distance and at one point, the lights in the house flickered from the lightning.
That got me thinking (well, I tend to go into sensory overload whenever there's a thunderstorm anyway). But I was more reflecting on how for all the talk of global warming etc. I've noticed how winters aren't really cold anymore - When was the last time we had a decent smattering of snow here in Birmingham? Winters are definitely warmer now. I can't even wear my parka because it's too warm (OK, it's like wrapping a tog 40 duvet around myself). And as for the rain, well it certainly doesn't seem to rain as much as it used to. I can remember how when it rained, it would last a few days. Not constantly, but on and off for a few days. It seems we only get a day or two of light showers nowadays. I wonder if I'll live in an age where I say to people "I can remember when winters used to be COLD and when it rained, it would do so for at least 3 days in a row!". Hmmmm.
When the rain from the thunderstorm eventually fell, it was a heavy rain - Not the pathetic light showers we seem to get these days. It was so loud and hard that you could hear it. I opened the door to the back garden and just stood there for a while, I could smell all the flowers in the neighbour's gardens, I could smell the grass, I could smell the leaves on the trees. It was like nature was in full bloom welcoming the blessed rain. I was in full sensory overload by then. In a serene moment to myself, I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. It was like I could feel the relief that the rain brought to the plants and flowers. I've never felt so close to Mother Nature before in my life. It made me feel (and understand) that there is a life force which is greater than all of us. I don't usually get all spiritual or hippy, but at that point yesterday, it was a powerful moment for me.
Saturday, May 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment