Monday, May 15, 2006

How to make me cry

No, I don't mean in an upsetting way.. I meant in a totally unexpected and completely spontaneous way.

I recently emailed some pictures of Dad's final resting place to Jean in HK. She had been asking for a while and between Kiu and I, I never got round to burning them onto a disc for Kiu to upload and send to Jean via email. So I just asked Kiu for Jean's email address to send them directly to her. This is the reply I got from her:


Hello, dear San,

Thank you for sending me photos of your Dad's final resting place. The
place looks peaceful and clean. It must be a good place of 'fung shui'.
It is always my wish to pay a visit to your Dad's resting place and show my respect if I got a chance to UK.........

I am fine except poor memory, poor vision........... (Remember that I called you at 3 am?........ SORRY about that).

I won't forget your laughing voice, you are always lovely, San.

Regards
Jean

I was near to tears anyway upon reading how it's her wish to visit Dad's resting place, but the closing sentence just made me burst into tears. It's just so nice when you unexpectedly hear someone tell you that you're lovely - or pay you any compliment like that. It caught me completely off-guard. Dad has always regarded Jean as a favourite niece and in return, Jean always thought of Dad as her favourite Uncle. He was always happy and jolly whenever she saw him. So to hear her say such nice things (and know that she's being completely genuine) mean a lot to me. The incident she is referring to when she phoned me at 3am is here. ;) I hope that I make it to HK this autumn, I would love to see Jean and the rest of her family again. I guess if anything, this email has made me more determined to go.

No comments: