The very last episode of The West Wing just aired on TV over here. It is with a sense of sadness that I say goodbye to this programme. OK, it hasn't been as great in recent years, but the brilliance of the early years more than make up for that. It was the first real drama from the US that I loved since the beginning and showed that the Americans aren't as thick as people seem to like to make them out as being. It showed how not only were they intelligent with a very sophisticated sense of humour, but they also had a conscience and a sense of what was right or wrong. I remember how just after the 9/11 attacks, the episode of TWW was the thing that all the critics were talking about. How would President Bartlett deal with such attacks? Could a fictional President be better than the actual President? The response? A very well written script where all the main characters debated and explained to a group of schoolkids who were in the White House (only to serve as a metaphor for us, the audience) the complexities of the issues that surrounded the key events at the time. They debated why you couldn't just bomb someone in retaliation. They explained why some people are driven to commit such acts of terrorism. I can remember watching it at the time and thinking to myself that it was a brilliant piece of writing.
I've laughed and cried with all the characters in The West Wing.. From Leo's heart attack to CJ's root canal, from Sam finding out that he slept with a hooker to finding out that Mrs Landingham had died. I think it's ironic how (especially in the early years) Bartlett was often compared to Bush as people would wish that Bartlett was the one running the Country.
Most of all, the scripts were work of pure genius. Bartlett's rants in the first 3 seasons were just briliant. The one where he completely tore apart some woman from the radio (she called herself Dr as she had a PhD, but her show was advising on medical matters). This woman opposed gay rights and hid behind the Bible, this is a quote:
President Josiah Bartlet: You're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: Yes, Sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: A Ph.D.
President Josiah Bartlet: A Ph.D.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: Yes, Sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: Psychology?
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: No, Sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: Theology?
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: No.
President Josiah Bartlet: Social work?
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I have a Ph.D. in English literature.
President Josiah Bartlet: I'm asking 'cause on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show, and I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology or health care. Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't believe they are confused. No, Sir
President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.
President Josiah Bartlet: Yes it does. Leviticus.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.
President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.
Just reading that again makes my soul sing. In an age where the Christian Right are taking over a bit too much, here's a retort using the one thing they hide behind - Their Bible. I just love it! There are many more memorable quotes.. Way too many to post on here. But I'm sure I'll refer to them every once in a while.
So thank you The West Wing, it's been a pleasure.
Saturday, July 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment