Well, it's been so long that I thought I would try to add my own opinion of hits and misses music-wise at least for 2007.
Fave song of the year? This is always a tough one, but I would have to say Rilo Kiley's "Silver Lining" is the one song that perks me up every time I hear it. You can't help but sway and feel good listening to this song.
Other notable mentions:
Feist: 1 2 3 4 - OK, it was used in the launch of the new revamped iPod mini's but that only brought Feist to a greater audience - Which is not a bad thing. I just love the banjo in this song.
Rufus Wainwright "Going To A Town" - Well, it wouldn't be a list by me if it didn't include Rufus in one way or another, would it? This first single from his latest album and it was the first glimpse for eager fans like me to hear his new material. I have to admit that the first time I heard the song, I was completely blown away by it. Simple, melodic yet powerful lyrically and incredibly moving. Rufus at his best. However, it wasn't the best song on the album "Release The Stars", the best track on the album (IMHO) hasn't been released as a single, so I can't include it.
The Killers "Read My Mind" - I just love how this song builds up from something fairly quiet and subdued into something where all of the band are giving their all, then returning back to an understated tone to end.
Arcade Fire - "No Cars Go" - In a word... Gorgeous. Very nearly my song of the year
As for my album of the year? It's an honourable tie between:
Arcade Fire "Neon Bible" and Teddy Thompson "Up Front and Down Low"
"Neon Bible" is just breathtaking - Full of gorgeous songs that move you in every way. Seeing them triumph at every live festival over the summer was a complete joy to behold. It's one of them albums that remind me of just how great music can be.
Teddy's album is a cover of old Country classics with one original tune "Downlow". I've loved everything that Teddy has done anyway, and I knew how much he loved Country music and so when I heard about his album, I was a little more than intrigued. What Teddy has done is choose some Country songs that you may not have necessarily have heard of before, but are (I'm told) absolute classics in the Country genre, and interpreted them in a very accessible way - but without losing any of the original heartache or appeal of the songs. Teddy's version of Geroge Jones' "She Thinks I Still Care" is quite astonishing, it still moves me to tears when I hear it now.
Some notable mentions:
Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Patty Griffin - Children Running Through
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
M.I.A - Kala
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Manu Chao - La Radiolina
Bjork - Volta (back to her best)
Kanye West - Graduation
Friday, January 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment