Monday, January 05, 2009

Decisions, decisions...

OK, so I'm in a bit of a quandry here.. I have to make some (tough) decisions and whatever choice I make, it's going to result in the other party being let down/upset.

*sigh*

Fortunately, I'm lucky enough that it's not anything life-threatening and I'm just whingeing a bit here, so forgive me.

OK, so I want to see the solar eclipse. Q would also *really* like to see the eclipse. However, it's in July and realistically, it means I only have 4 months to save up. I can't afford to pay for anything right now because I've got a holiday in 7 weeks time so any money I'm saving now is for that. If I try to leave it until after my cruise (or at least nearer to the date of departure), I run the risk of it being sold out. To counter that, I heard back from the tour operator who has offered to provisionally reserve some tour places for us - just need to give him numbers. So it's down to the flight from HK to Shanghai. I've found a flight for £350 which is the cheapest out there, so everything should be all good right? Well, not exactly. The eclipse is during the rainy season and I would be really pissed off if I've paid all that money and find that it's cloudy and raining on the day of the eclipse.

If I discount the whole eclipse thing, it would mean that I don't have any time constraints so I could go back with Mum in the Autumn which could be good on several fronts:

  • More time to save up for the trip
  • Weather will be cooler
  • YKL would be more inclined to join us
  • I suppose I wouldn't feel so bad asking for the time off work in Sept/Oct as it's longer after my cruise
So what's the problem here? It makes much more sense to wait a bit longer before going back, right? Well, I know that Q is particularly looking forward to the eclipse - To the point where she's more excited about that than going back to HK. I don't want to let her down as I don't think she has anyone else to go with. And much as I would love to go, the odds and numbers are working against me.

I need to stop being so excited and think about this properly and clearly.. I can't think properly at the moment because I'm just so excited about going back to HK. I guess that deep down in my heart of hearts, I know that much as I would *love*to go for the eclipse - it's just a trip too far for me. I need to sit down and thinking everything through clearly.

Still, I bought some more lucky dips on the lottery today with the winnings from a previous lucky dip Ibought in July (and only just about managed to claim!).

Sorry, I'll stop whingeing now

No comments: