Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Waste not, want not

I stopped by my local Tescos after work tonight. I had my dinner sorted (thanks to Mum bringing home a doggy bag last night) so I knew I had some plain chow mein and some dim sum I could reheat. For that reason, I didn't really want to go because a) I'm being extra thrifty with my money as I fly out to Miami next week and b) I know what I'm like and I would end up picking up stuff I didn't really need, but I needed to pick up some oranges and pads for Mum so it meant having to go to Tescos on the way home. I planned to just pick up oranges, pads, some more carrots for lunch (week 2 of crudités and houmous for lunch and Becky has noticed that I've lost weight too). But, in true form - I noticed that the reduced veg rack was REALLY full, so I headed over to it. I picked up some large bags of coriander (thought I could add it to the chow mein to liven it up a bit and could also add it to a curry I could defrost for dinner tomorrow). Then I noticed there was a whole CRATE of loose, yellow bananas. Sure, most of them were bruised and some had split - But the majority of them were fine - Just a darker yellow instead of pale yellow like on the shelves. I immediately thought they would be perfect for banana bread given how I've been trying to age some bananas in my house for the past 2 weeks but they always end up being eaten first! So, I start sifting through them and after a while (about a minute?) I feel someone tap my arm, I look up (I've got my ipod on so can't hear a thing) and a guy with a bemused expression on his face is pointing at the Tesco employee. I remove my headphones and he's there shouting - SHOUTING - at me saying "YOU CAN'T BUY THOSE, THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE. IF YOU BUY THEM, THEY WON'T BE REDUCED. THEY'RE ALL SPLIT AND ARE GONNA BE THROWN AWAY" I look at the guy and tell him its for banana bread and he's like "well, they're not reduced", I pointed out that he said they were gonna be thrown away and he retorts that whilst that was true, they're still not reduced or for sale. I couldn't believe what he was saying - I wasn't thinking they were reduced anyway, I honestly thought of nothing but really ripe bananas for Banana Bread, but to throw away perfectly edible bananas.. Now I see why there's such problem with food wastage. Mind you, to say they're gonna be thrown away and then charge me full price is pretty shitty too. Dammit, this better be the best banana bread ever!

No comments: