Saturday, October 01, 2005

Bonjour!

So how was your day? Well, my day started with me waking up VERY late. I couldn't be arsed to rush in, so I just phoned up and told Matt Mc that I was going to be late and that he would have to put the tills out. Instead of my usual dirty sandwich, I decided to stop a the french bakery store of the International Farmer's market they had in Brum. I couldn't be arsed to decide, so I went for 6 each of the pain aux raisins, pain au chocolat and croissants - All freshly baked by them on site and still warm when I bought them. I tried to be friendly and thought I would make an effort and said to the lady "Merci bien Madame, Bon journée!". I'm about to turn round and leave and the woman gasped and went: "Tu comprends le français?". Well, I panicked and said "Oui" to which she went rabbiting on about how not many people in the UK speak French to her, how she's been to a few places around the UK.. And I'm there thinking "I'm speaking in French to a real Frenchie - all before 9am on a Saturday!". I must admit, I loved every moment of it. It reminded me of being in Biarritz when I made YKL struggle to speak in French when my French is better than hers :p At the end of the holiday, YKL turned to me and went: "Your French is really good.. You kept that quiet, didn't you?!"

Now, there were loads of stalls and I was thinking about buying some stuff before work. But I worried that not only was I late, I didn't want to keep the stuff locked indoors (especially knowing that I was going out after work).

The problem was that I haven't been to work for 2 days - So I had 2 days of shit to sort out. Then, my other problem came back.. I fell asleep at my desk on and off for an hour. It's not really serious, but I know that one day, I'll get caught. But for the moment, it's like having a powerkip and I feel really good for having a brief sleep. So by the time I sorted everything out - It was 1pm. SHIT! So do I go to the market now, or cash up quickly, then go? My problem was that I couldn't go there and then because I needed to show that I had done some work, so I started cashing up..

It's now 15.40 andI *really* have to go the market. So I get there, and I find that most of the stalls are sold out of stuff. I wanted to get some more croissants and stuff so I could freeze them - All gone. The one stall that had some plump and really juicy looking chorizos and boudin noir. But they had sold out and packed up by the time I got there. So, I head to the terrine place. Turns out that they had some really GORGEOUS pâtés, I got a smoked pork ones, and one of duck rillettes which was really smooth and just melted in my mouth when I tasted it. I asked if they had some boudin noir and he had 2 short pieces left. The man was trying to tell me how to cook it, but he was struggling with his english. So, I had to let on that I understood French. He then proceeded to tell me that this particular boudin noir was good fried in some butter with apples and a touch of cognac. I'll try that! I then tell him that I wanted to get some sausages and he's walking down the stall with me - ignoring other ppl talking to him - and I say that I want to get some chorizos. He then picks out the best ones for me (I was expecting them to be all dry and tough, but they're still quite plump and moist) and then gives me some other dried sausages "as presents from me to you." I've got wild boar, smoked pork, pork and chilli and pork and olive. :D I tell ya, I'll be looking forward to eating all this!

Oh, I have to tell you about about tartiflette. It's potatoes, cream, cheese, lardons or bacon, garlic and a touch of wine all cooked together - What MORE could you ask from a dish?! It was delicious - Especially with some merguez sausages.

All in all, I had a really good day. This market had been really good. Of course, it was a bit on the pricey side - But it was still nice enough for ppl to see and sample other foods of the world. I only wish I could have spent more time there. I hope it comes back soon.

No comments: