Monday, September 11, 2006

Trashy TV

There are times when I wake up in the middle of the night unable to get back to sleep for various reasons. In times like these, I usually put the TV on and invariably end up watching a news channel like CNN. However, there are times when I catch some trashy US import on C4 which is so obscure, it was cancelled after 1 or 2 series and can only be shown at 3am when hardly anyone is watching (other than students and insomniacs). I must confess that I quite like these trashy progs. I'll prolly never get to see another episode, but right now, this kind of mindless trash is exactly what I need when I can't sleep.

The lastest programme in this long line is fastlane. From what I can gather, it's about an elite group of undercover cops (called Candy Store). IN a very PC way, it features 1 woman, and 1 black guy and 1 pretty white boy. The one I've just seen guest starred Naomi Campbell as the producer of porn films and Tommy Lee as a drug dealer - *SO* trashy! Oh, and since it's set in LA, the leads are all oh-so-beautiful with perfect bodies. A classic line I caught from the episode was how, after Tommy Lee's character was seeking revenge after his brother was killed by the leading lady undercover cop (the leading undercover cop is a lady - how modern). When he tells the Naomi Campbell character that the cop is really a cop and not a wannabe porn star (oh, first time they met, it was during a supposed audition), the producer retorts: "She's not a cop - She's a kindergarten teacher!" Brilliant! get the most stereotypically diverse occupation! It's like saying "She can't be a serial killer.. She works with baby lambs!"

Such trash - But *SO* addictive!

No comments: