Saturday, October 14, 2006

Spooky goings on..

About 30mins ago, I woke up to go to the loo. Nothing special there, in fact it's not something that is really blog-worthy. What happened when I was on the loo though was that the doorbell rung, not just once, but 3 times in a row.

Now, we've had a few problems with the doorbell this week. I changed all the batteries in the chime part (we have a wireless doorbell with two chime thingies - one in the hallway and one in the living room so Mum can hear the doorbell in the daytime) on Saturday. By Sunday, the doorbell wasn't working again. It wasn't until Tuesday night that I had a flash of inspiration and ripped the button part off the wall (it was stuck on with a sticky padded thing), opened up the thing to reveal a tiny battery in there. I surmised that it was this battery that needed replacing. So, it was replaced on Weds night but I immediately realised a fatal error that I had made. In taking the button thing off the wall, it now meant that I had to stick the thing back on. I got some double sided tape from work and stuck it back onto the outside of the porch. By Thursday morning when I left for work, it had fallen off the outside of the porch and was on the ground in a few pieces. I managed to put it back together and stuck it back on. By Friday morning, the same had happened and I noticed that the insides of it were a bit wet now from morning condensation. I get a tube of super glue and re-attach the thing to the outside of the porch on Friday afternoon and am thinking its the end of the matter. So you can imagine my surprise/shock/horror that the doorbell should ring at 5.50am on a Saturday morning. My initial thoughts were that it must be some shitty kids messing about, but this early? Perhaps it's the postman but again, this early? I go downstairs and there's no-one a the front door. I do my usual security sweep and by now, I'm getting quite freaked out because the possibility of it being something paranormal is quite high. I check on Mum just incase it's a warning that she needs help (bit like when I fell/was pushed out of bed when she had a hypo) and she's fine. I sit in my bedroom and try to wait up a bit just incase it's some unscrupulous person trying to see if anyone was at home before atempting a break-in. Then, at 6.10, the doorbell rings again. This time, I wake Mum up because I at beginning to freak out now as I'm convinced it's something paranormal and I feel safer with Mum when dealing with spirits and the paranormal. It's obviously not anyone pressing the doorbell so I decide to take the batteries out of the chime parts of the doorbell so that they won't sound. If they do sound now, I will be SERIOUSLY freaking out!

I just had a look outside and noticed that they is a big drop of condensation on the bottom of the doorbell part, so I'm now wondering if the condensation is messing up the electrics somehow and setting off the doorbell? Whatever, I'm currently still a bit freaked out and terrified that I should hear the doorbell again soon..

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Of course it's the condensation - the integrity of the casing has been compromised, and moisture is getting in.

YSL said...

Well, the latest in the saga of the doorbell is that if you press the button once - It won't stop ringing. So I'm guessing that the condensation has shorted the circuit inside somewhere. Just as well I'm going away for 3 weeks..