OK, so I've decided that I'm going to leave HMV. Initially, I wanted to leave before Crimbo because I got the impression that I wouldn't be paid for all the overtime that I will work. However, I had a sit down with Rabbi last week and the conversation ended with him promising me that I'll be paid for all the overtime I do. With that in mind, I decided to delay my departure until the end of January. This way, I have job security over Cimbo and New Year and my last few pay packets should be fairly hefty given all the overtime and bank holidays I will be working. Plus the fact that I am owed holiday pay (I figured that by the time I leave, I should be owed about 14 days), so that should be a fair sum of dough. Also, it meant that I will have enough money to go on holiday just after I leave and when I get back, it'll be a completely new start and I can look for a new job/career. I'm quite happy with this, it gives me greater security over Crimbo and New Year and I don't feel quite such a bitch for leaving the store in the shit.
Oh, I should also mention that YKL went on holiday last Friday to California for 10 days. I was thinking how we've gotten closer in the past 18 months or so and in recent months when I've been down, she's the only one out of all my sisters that I tell *everything* to. That's not to say that I don't tell my other sisters about stuff, but I may not go into the as much depth and detail with them as I would be with YKL. So, I kind of miss her now that she's away for a bit because I don't have someone I can call in my moments of panic going "Help! Am I being stupid wanting to leave?!" or of complete joy going "I'm gonna be paid for all my overtime!".
One of those moments would have been on Monday morning when I get a phonecall in my office saying that there was a Chris on line 3 for me. Chris from where? No idea.. Oh well, best take the call, it's prolly some cashier from another store who's been given my number because they're stuck on something. It turns out to be the head of the service helpdesk - the guy who interviewed me back in July when I originally applied for a job. If you recall, I didn't get the job because between myself and a supervisor, he felt that a majority of calls would be shopfloor based so on that basis, the supervisor got the job over me. There was also a low point where I got a phonecall about 6 weeks later from the Team Leader asking me, since I was THE person to speak to when it came to Cash Office matters, if I would be willing to train the new recruits about Cash Office procedures. I didn't want to do it, but I felt that it would be unprofessional of me to not do it. Anyway, back to the phonecall from Chris on Monday morning.. It turns out that there are more vacancies in the helpdesk, not just one or two, but there are also a couple of temp vacancies that will be turned into full time positions in the New Year when they get more money to hire them. I had spotted the vacancy advertised briefly on Monday morning, but I didn't look any further into it because instead of being listed as "IT Helpdesk operator", it's now listed as a "Service Helpdesk operator" and in all honesty, my Regional Manager was lurking, so I didn't want him to see me looking at other jobs. So, Chris phoned me to ask if I was still interested in the position - which I am, and would I be willing to come along for another interview? Well, the interview is today at 1pm.
I'm kind of in 2 minds about it all.. Of course, I would love to get the job because it would be a massive step up in my career. But I am also ready to leave HMV, so I have geared myself up for that too. Plus the fact that I've already been rejected once for this job - And let's face it, asking me to train people to do a job that I'm seemingly more suitable for was the final straw for me - that's what made me ultimately decide to leave HMV, so can I face the possibility of being rejected twice? That said, I'm kind of taking the view of "I'm leaving in January anyway" if I don't get the job. But there's also the contemplation of how after all this fuss, I may actually be staying with HMV after all.
Fortunately, YKL phoned me from her hols yesterday and the first thing I blurted out was "I've got an interview tomorrow!". She's obviously happy for me and it was so good to hear her confirm what I've been thinking in that whilst I should go for it, I shouldn't be too down if I don't get it as I'm planning to leave i a few month's time anyway. The only thing I should worry about is being too complacent because according to Rabbi, Dice and everyone else that I've spoken to from work about this, it's practically a done deal that I'll be offered a job - Particularly because they phoned me rather than me applying for the job again. Rabbi has even started to think about who can be my replacement as cashier. I've told him that it's only an interview I've got - And I didn't get it after my interview last time!
Still, let's see what happens..
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Stuff sometimes takes time to fall into place, that's all - if they are calling you, it's you they want (this is how companies work, trust me) although you could still be blindsided by a new applicant who really ticks their boxes, or screrwing up the interview by having a row with the interviewer (BTDT)... but as done deals go, it's pretty done, I'd say. And you'll still get the staff discount...
Plus, if you don't get it, you'll know you are right to move on as there is nothing left at HMV for you - and you've given it your best shot.
So, a win-win, really. Good luck with the interview.
Win-win indeed! Thanks for the good luck :) You can read the next post for a post-interview blog.. ;)
Post a Comment