So then, I may not be the best person in the world when it comes to updating my blog, but you can guarantee that I will get a review or best of the year around NYE, so here goes:
I can never decide on one single favourite, so I usually go for a list, so for best singles/songs (in no particular order):
Sam Sparro - "Black and Gold" No matter HOW many times I hear this song on the radio, I never tire of it. Never mind the existentialistic element of it all, the poetic lyrics, the damn catchy tune.. It's just a brilliant pop song
Goldfrapp - "A+E" and "Caravan Girl" As soon as I heard "A+E" I said that it was one of my favourite songs of the year. I loved the simplistic opening with Alison Goldfrapp's voice and harp and how it descended into this loud cacophony of melodies, only for it to end very simplistically too. As for "Caravan Girl", again, it's a very simple song with overlapping melodies but just brilliant. Nothing less than gloriousness from one of my favourite bands.
MGMT - "Time to Pretend". An absolute anthem of the year.
Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk". Nothing short of brilliant. A tune so catchy that you can't help but jump around the room to it whenever you hear it.
Madonna (ft Justin Timberlake and Timbaland) - "4 minutes". This could well be the song of the year for me, just for the intro alone. A reminder from Madonna that she can produce some damn fine tunes.
Adele - "Hometown Glory". Stunning. Just stunning.
Dizzee Rascal (feat. Chrome and Calvin Harris) - "Dance Wit Me". *LOVE* this song. I can't pretend that I can follow Dizzee's rap all the time, but it's a damn catchy tune!
Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours". I was really happy when this song was picked up by radio 1 - I've been following Jason Mraz for a few years now so was happy when this little ditty was picked up by Radio 1.
As for albums:
Bon Iver - "For Emma, forever ago". This album has made it onto a lot of best of lists this year and deservedly so. Without wishing to be horrid, you almost want to thank the ex for leaving him as the result is this album of beautifully heartfelt and sorrowful songs.
Emmylou Harris - "All I Intended To Be". Emmylou has returned to Nashville for this album and the result is spectacular. There is a certain something of this album which seems to stem from someone in their advanced years, but is very comfortable and assured of their place in the world.
Teddy Thompson - "A Piece of What You Need". Hardly a year goes past where either Teddy or Rufus don't feature in my best of list and 2008 is no different. Teddy is obviously in a happy place - which has resulted in Teddy's best album to date.
MGMT - "Oracular Spectacular" and Vampire Weekend - "Vampire Weekend". Two of my bands of the year. These albums are all I listened to over the summer.
Kings of Leon - "Only By Night". One of their best albums to date. They're obviously very assured of themselves and their sound now and with breathtaking results.
Coldplay - "Viva La Vida....." A welcome return to form for the band after the mass hype of X and Y. They may not be to everyone's tastes, but I can't help but be seduced by their melodies and catchy songs.
The Kills - "Midnight Boom" Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince demonstrating that lo-fi can be loud and great.
As for best gigs of the year? Well I must mention Cayamo 08. Just the fact that I saw Emmylou Harris play for the first time in my life during that week is special enough - But to have seen her play live 4 times in 3 days is just spoiling me. The whole week was just brilliant - Shawn Colvin, Buddy Miller, Patty Griffin.. I look forward to going back next year. Teddy in October was the best yet, as were seeing The Kills in April and seeing Emmylou for a fifth time in October and Madonna in Wembley Stadium. But the absolute killer of them all (other than Cayamo), was seeing Leonard Cohen in November. The sheer silkiness of the man's voice - So clear and powerful, I was completely seduced by it all. Sandie mentioned how she never thought she would see Leonard Cohen play live but I felt really priviliged to be there. I knew that I would never experience another concert like that, so I was savouring every moment. By the time her performed the seminal "Hallelujah" I was moved to tears. Never mind all this fuss about x-factor or Jeff Buckley. Those who were lucky enough to have seen Leonard Cohen perform it live will know that there is no better version and I am thankful for experiencing it in person
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment