Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Childhood Flavours

I'm in a great mood today. I only worked a half day so that was acers. Garreth suggested that a half day is prolly better than a day off because you're in a good mood at the start of the day with the knowledge that you're not working a full shift. Rabbi fell about laughing when I told him how I've been told to spend less time with him given how I turn into a swearing machine after spending time with him.

YKL went with Mum to the hossie today for an outpatients appointment in the breast clinic. Oh, the bad news was that the GP nearer to us wasn't taking any more new patients. However, we've got Mum on the waiting list so I'll have to keep pestering them every couple of months. back to the breast clinic, the consultant was happy with Mum's progress and suggested that she have a mammogram just to check that everything is ok inside. We didn't expect them to get an appointment within 48hours! YKL had to ask them to re-arrange it for next week whilst I'm on holiday. I can see my holiday being taken up with medical appointments already..

Actually, I need to go to Londinium one day next week - Londoners beware! I think I'll be going to Fortnum and Mason's for Kiu's pressie (It's OK, she doesn't read this blog!). I'll try to pick up some other stocking fillers from there too, I think. Whilst I'm there, I can see just how big a 500g box of chocolates actually is. I want to get YML, Paul and boy boy something special. So I thought I would get them something from Fortnum and Mason. However, because of FDA legislation, you have to declare any form of confectionery. And thus, Fortnum's won't send their full catalogue. On the Fortnum's USA website however, it's all tea (they're more coffee drinkers), jams and honey, biscuits, chutneys and hampers. I could get them some chutneys and mustards. But I'm thinking I'll get them a biscuit collection too. I'll have to register on the FDA site to send them some Corallo chocolate. I'm hoping that they can give some to Macy too. Oooh, mebbe I should get her something too from Fortnum's? Actually, I could get some teas for Hannah and Rob - And some jam. Right, I DEFINITELY need to go to Fortnum's next week. Oooh, that means I can go to the Japanese Centre and get some nice food too :D If I have time, I'll venture to Gourmet Burger Kitchen for something decent to take onto the train - Ppl give me funny looks when I start eating sushi on the train :|

Anyway yes, I went off COMPLETELY on a tangent there.. Sorry about that! So, the end result of my half day and YKL taking Mum to the hossie was that I could meet them for lunch. Again, we went to out favourite Chinatown Noodle Bar. They were *so* busy today, it's the first time I've been there at lunchtime on a weekday. They couldn't get ppl out quickly enough. Still the food (Thai style stir fried vermicelli, roast duck and crispy belly pork with rice) was excellent as ever. Oh, I also made a mental note to go to Canton Sushi Bar simply because I haven't been yet and am curious as to what their standard of sushi is like.

Oh, YKL then went off shopping for Lauren's 18th Bday pressies. I've ended up buying her a bracelet with some pieces of jade that symbolise protection.

So, I'm at home and I think about food from childhood again.. This time, I remember the coups with pasta was used to have. It's basically a big pot of stock - Usually with salted pork rather than westerners using chicken stock - with a load of pasta shapes (macaroni, fusilli, shells) cooked in the stock so that you get this flavoursome stock with substenance from the pasta. Oh, ham bones are really great for stock for this dish. I remember how we used to love that dish when we were kids. YKL used to just eat the pasta and not have the soup and I distinctly remember Mum despairing at how most people go for the soup, but her daughter went for the pasta!

Anyway, I think that's another dish I will have to cook on my time off work :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a foodie question. When I was a kid, there was a Cantonese takeaway nearby that I used to get plain old Chicken and Bean Sprouts from with alarming regularity. They did it with a few slices of pork, and (here's the question) there was a(small amount of)thin, clear red sauce on top. It was sweet, and it stained the chicken red. I've never been able to get it since from a takeaway. What was that sweet, clear red sauce that was used? Ring any bells? I need more!

YSL said...

I need more details.. What was the taste? sweet? hot? the clear red-ness of it confuses me..

Anonymous said...

It's been so long, all I can really recall was it made what was plain (thin slices of chicken breast, a few of pork, plenty of beansprouts) quite tasty. It was definitely sweet, but not overpowering. Where it had been in contact with the chicken, it stained it bright red. There was always little of it, and it was a bright transparent red. I reckon it must be a Cantonese thing, as I only ever found it again in a Cantonese restaurant, every other version from takeaways just has the usual Chicken stock-cum-gravy instead...