It's been a while since I've seen this film (Kiu had my DVD). Watching it tonight on television has reminded me just how much I love this film - And why it's one of my favourite films ever.
A lot was made of it at the time how Ang Lee wanted to make a kind of martial arts film that he watched as a kid rather than the Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee types that until this film was released, the West only knew about. INdeed, these were the kind of films that I grew up watching too. So when I saw this film for the first time, it was like a breath of fresh air. It was like watching the type of martial arts film that I grew up watching.
Chow Yun Fat was also an actor that I grew up watching. I can remmber him in some terrible Hong Kong TV dramas from the 70s and 80s. Actually, I remember seeing him in a film really camping it up. But his performance in CTHD was brilliant. It was such a restrained performance that captured the inner torment and nobility of Li Mu Bai perfectly. I always remember seeing him in shot and thinking how you can tell he's the one from HK since his skin was a lot darker than that of Michelle Yeoh (Whom I love, btw and is Malaysian).
Zhang Ziyi was a complete revelation in this film. Beautiful yet full of attitude and unaware of how she should be grateful until the very end of the film. I still dream of an ending where she gets there in time to save Li Mu Bai.
That leads me nicely into something else I saw tonight.. The trailer for "Memoirs of a Geisha" which stars.. Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh! When I first heard they were getting involved in this film, I was overjoyed. The trailer makes the film look amazing. I really hope they've done a good job - Memoirs.. is one of my favourite books. And I couldn't bare to see it being torn apart - Even with Michelle Yeoh in it!
The end is nigh for the film.. Li Mu Bai has just pulled the poisoned needle from him neck.. Time to get the tissues out.
Sunday, October 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment