Thursday, October 20, 2005

Feeling old

Some of you may know that I used to post on a website for one of my favourite tennis players. But I left after bickering between board members and well, the board stopped being about tennis. However, I did make some brilliant friends there, namely Sonja (and her husband Tim) and in particular, J and Deb. I first met them all when I went to Miami last year, but I felt comfortable enough to share a condo with J and Deb - Even though I had never met them before. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but my time in Miami and the Florida Keys was brilliant not only because it was my first holiday in a long time, but also because of J and Deb. I know that if there weren't there, I would have had a shit time. I also know that because of that holiday, I have friends for life in J and Deb. Another person I know from that board is BM. Now, I've always found this ironic, but BM is the only person I chat to regularly and is from March, Cambs - But I've never met her. In fact, I'm more likely to meet J, Deb or Sonja in the US than I am BM.

I get on fine with BM. We can chat about most things but every now and again, she angers me with her views. I remember how after 7/7 and the whole JC Menezez (sic) incident, she angered me by saying how she "didn't feel very confident in the police given how they can just shoot anyone they want to now." She also said that she was "pissed off at how Blair was blatantly lying when he said that the terrorists won't succeed in trying to change the way we live." I can remember how her comments just angered me so much that I had to walk away from my computer to calm down. I was thinking to myself "How the hell do you and I get on given how your views seem to be so diametrically opposed to my own?"

Anyway, the reason I mention it is because she's been getting that way again recently.. Or mebbe I'm just being over-sensitive. Whilst I can chat to J until the cows come home. Increasingly, I have less and less in common with BM and I just don't know what to chat to her about. The problem is that if I don't talk to her, J and the others are still good friends with her. So it's not like I'll be able to avoid her. Mebbe it's because I'm 30 now, and I feel the need to chat to ppl around the same age as I am - Not late teens or early 20's. They just make me feel old.

No comments: